MARCH 26, 2017, NOONHIGH NOON
Dude, it's only a mile. The 7th annual Morningside Mile is Atlanta's only competitive 1-mile run with cash prizes, great swag & a killer post-race party. Runners of all levels from competitive runners to moms with jog strollers & kids are welcome.
The race starts in Virginia-Highland (corner of Lanier Boulevard and Virginia Avenue) and ends in Morningside at Doc Chey's (1424 N. Highland Ave).
- Start on Lanier Boulevard (just north of Virginia Ave.) heading north.
- Left on Morningside Drive (.52 miles)
- Right on Lanier Place (.78 miles)
- Right on North Highland Avenue (.87 miles)
- Finish Line is in front of Doc Chey's
Commemorative premium race shirt for the first 500 registrants! Show your race number at the block party to get a free SweetWater beer at Doc Chey's, OR a free cookie at Alon's.
- Overall Top 3 Male & Female Winners: $200/$100/$50 in cash & gift cards.
- Masters (over 40) Top 3 Male & Female Winners: $100/$50/$25 in cash & gift cards.
- Age Group Winners: $25 local merchant gift card to top male & female finisher in each age group: under 6, 7-9, 10-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+.
SWEETWATER 420 CHALLENGE:
Runner who gets closest time to 4:20 wins a deluxe SweetWater prize pack including 4 tickets to the brewery & tasting, SweetWater apparel & other goodies.
- $30 per person
- Registration Closes: Thursday before race, or at 1000 runners, whichever comes first.
- No Race Day Pick-up! Race number and swag bag pick-up Wed-Sat before race at Highland Runners. No race day pick up, runners without numbers are not eligible for prizes.
ONLINE now at www.active.com
- IN-STORE at Highland Runners or Doc Chey's Morningside. Save time by printing and completing our registration form in advance.
RACE DAY INFO:
THIS IS A POINT TO POINT RACE. The race starts at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and Lanier Boulevard. Runners should gather on Lanier Boulevard just north of Virginia Avenue at 11:45am. Those wishing to participate in the FitWit 10 minute warm-up should arrive before 11:40. Racers will be escorted to starting line. The race ends on North Highland in front of Morningside Village.
The race will start at noon in three waves:
- Wave 1 – Competitive. Faster than 7 minute mile. No strollers or kids under 15.
- Wave 2 – Recreational. Slower than 7 minute mile. Casual runners, families, & walkers.
Parking is available on the streets surrounding the race venue, but please do not block driveways. We recommend you park close to the finish line & walk/run to the start so you can enjoy the post-race block party. Please note that the Morningside Village, Alon's, & Coldwell Banker parking lots will be closed. There should be plenty of on street parking on Lanier Blvd, University Avenue, North Morningside Drive, Lanier Place & Cumberland Drive. MARTA services the neighborhood.
How long is a mile?
- 1,760 yards
- 5,280 feet
- 63,360 inches
- 1,609 meters
- 1,609,344 millimeters
- 14,762,889 dollar bills stacked
- 5,280 Osteria pizzas laid side-by-side
- 7,920 Doc Chey's noodle bowls
- 21,120 Doc Chey's basil rolls laid end-to-end
How long does it take to travel a mile?
- The average time to run a mile is about 10 minutes
- The average time to walk a mile is about 20 minutes
- World's fastest mile is 3 minutes, 43 seconds
- In water, the record is 14 minutes, 34 seconds
- A passenger airplane flies about a mile every 6 seconds